Our ability to communicate our thoughts, feelings and points of view is one aspect that separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom. It’s just that we’re not all that good at it all of the time.
Recently, I wrote about returning from Bali and having some difficulty readjusting to Western life. Well, in the time since I’ve made a very important discovery. It’s nothing astounding or previously unknown but it is worth taking some time to mull over:
Communication is one of the keys to happiness.
Perhaps it is the key to happiness (although I am sure there are others). It simply strikes me that whenever you’re in a funk you can get yourself out of it by talking to someone. (It helps when you talk to the right person.)
Sure sometimes you need to think about all this human condition stuff by yourself. Yet ultimately it takes interaction with other evolved apes to get to the heart of matters.
A few other observations:
- Email and SMS are crap ways to communicate when serious conversation is required
- There’s too great a margin for error when things are left unsaid
- Time does not heal all wounds
- A tough conversation is better than no conversation at all
- Conflict isn’t always bad
In closing, I have recently found that a good old bout of in depth chin wagging makes you feel more alive. What do you think?